Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Bit Meloncholy


I learned about the word meloncholy when I had to perform a song with the title of meloncholy in it. Tonight I feel a little sad, and don't know why. Maybe I'm a little sad that the summer is coming to an end? Or maybe I'm just a little afraid of starting all over at a new school? Or maybe all the above?

I managed to finally finish a star blanket tonight that I have been dragging my feet over for some time. This was only my 2nd star blanket,and for some reason, I had more difficulties with this is everything being as "tight" as it should have been. This star blanket was done for Tresayda, a baby of two of my students from Sandy Bay.


For those of you who don't know the relevance of a star blanket, it is the greatest gift that one can bestow upon a person. It shows a true respect and honour to whoever you're presenting it to. According to Diane Hill, who I consider one of the foremost experts in star blankets, they are sacred. Traditional to the Plains Indians; they also represented Star Knowledge. They're commonly given for ceremonies, births, weddings, and funerals.

As much as I love doing this for others, I feel I need to focus on my own now. Some time ago, I purchased all the fabric I needed to make an esquisite star blanket, that is traditional, yet not quite traditional. I think I need to focus this next one one me to balance myself out. I haven't even been able to cut the strips yet for my star blanket, and that's heavy on my heart-that I haven't been able to have the time to do it. So, now that this one is ready and going to be given tomorrow morning, next time I sit down to do a star blanket, hopefully it's my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment