Sunday, February 20, 2011

In My Own Backyard-A Horror Story

So picture in your mind the theme music to Jaws while I get ready to announce this....I met my first bedbug...(GASP)!  Yup, you heard me, the bedbug, AKA the bug that's not just for your bed...

So the story?  Well, without trying to say too much to protect some identities...somebody I know had one crawling on them...I thought maybe it was a tick because guess what?  It bloody well looks like a tick.  Check out the photo:


See what I say???

I didn't know that bedbugs looked like ticks-someone had to point that out to me...so here I tried to be the brave valiant lady and squash the bug to death as I didn't have any matches nearby to see the sucker go to bug Hell....

Truth be told, I don't know if it was squashed...maybe I squashed it so well that there was no evidence left over?

When I got home, I stripped at my back door down to my birthday suit...clothes went in a garbage bag secured to be washed in hot water and jacket and shoes got put in the freezer...I hit the shower. 

Fact is that bedbugs can live in -10 C temperatures for up to 5 days.  Did you hear me?  The suckers are like little demons....can survive most anything...

While I know I was thorough and I'm 99.9999999% sure that I didn't bring any into my home, I still feel creepy, and at times I'm hallucinating that I feel something crawling on me....it's kind of like when I was introduced to lice the first time (not that I had it, but came in contact with it)...it's the same feeling....actually just writing this, I had to hit myself in the head because I felt something crawly...

Fact is that once you get them, they are almost impossible to get rid of.  They can hitch rides on pets, they move at lightening speed (this I saw with my own eyes), can live in cold temperatures, can come in on infested items (even brand new items from the store)...

It makes me cautious in buying certain second hand items...I definitely think people need to be cautious and maybe even leave things in a safe place not inside the home where someone can investigate any possibility of bugs...

I tell you...I think this is only the beginning of me seeing these out in public, but I'm ready for it...Are you????

No comments:

Post a Comment