Wednesday, September 29, 2010

In Memory of Victor

It seems like everywhere I look, people are experiencing horrible sorrow.  There has been so much loss lately for people I know and even as I sit here in the library, a vigil is going on for two lost women of my town; Jennifer Catcheway and Amber McFarlain. 

Today I found out that one of my students that I taught not long ago in Sandy Bay committed suicide.  I taught him, his sister, and his brother.  Victor was hard for me to reach-he was often withdrawn, quiet, with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.  I liked him but he was one that I just couldn't seem to reach...

The fact is there are lots of Victors out there, but people often don't want to see the issues in their own homes, communities, and homes.  I think people would be shocked to learn that guidance counselling is not a priority for most school divisions, and that positions are being cut.  We have so many hurting youth out there and suicide is one of the main causes of death among teens. 

Maybe for Victor it's too late, but if we start standing up for youth and for youth programs, we may have a better chance of making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment