Thursday, January 21, 2010

So I started my path to being better to myself.  Already I've done one thing for the month brand new, and that was go to a new restaurant with friends of mine in the city.  The restaurant was called New Win-at least that's what it sounded like.  It was a Vietamiese restaurant down on Ellice.  Food was good, service horrible, and I'd never had any of the foods before.  It was great, plus I had awesome company!

I plan on going to Tribal Days in Brandon for the end of the month, which I've never been to.  I don't know what to expect-I'm wondering if it's a smaller version of Manitoahbe??  I also want to hit the Brandon Art Gallery as they have an Iroquois art display. 

In other news, it looks like I've got a big commission on my hands....I've been contacted by a local restaurant to do a big piece for them, encorporating their logo into it. I'm quite excited-it should be a great piece to do.  The finished product should be about 4 ' diameter (circle).  I've also got a couple of other projects that I need to do...I need to completely redo my great grandmother's stained glass that her nursing home broke in time for her birthday and as well, do a door panel for Lisa and Neil, my best friend and her husband.  This is a wedding gift for them. 

My uncle also left for Haiti yesterday, and I can't help but be worried.  He's a photojournalist, and while I know he's capable of taking care of himself, he's my uncle and I worry you know?  He's admitted that this will most likely be the worst thing he's ever walked into, and I know that things in the past have been horrible conditions at time.  Wendell, my uncle, has been one of the most influencial people in my life.  While I wouldn't consider him a father figure, he's been an uncle, a mentor, a leader, and a friend.  Who I am is in large part due to him and what he's taught me.  He's an amazing man who has a talent to show what is truly going on.  But Haiti, with aftershocks still occuring-well, it's just scary.  You pray for his safety, for his welfare, and at the same time, for his ability to be able to tell the story there-that everything would fall in place.  If you get the chance, check out his website, http://www.wendellphillips.com/.  It's absolutely incredible.  He's been nationally honored, worked for the U.N., different governments, New York Times, magazines, etc.  And if you get the chance, think of him while you're thinking of the people in Haiti...thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment