Sunday, May 8, 2011

Putting Me First

So in the last posting I shared that I was really making an effort to get out and move more.  Well, I've gone a couple of steps further...

I actually questioned whether I should share this or not, but being that those I know who check this blog (who are known personally to me) are so supportive, I'm just going to say it straight up.  I am in the worst health of my life, and a lot of it has to do with choices I've made.  A few of my health problems are not anything that was my fault, but I need to make some radical changes and put me first.

Step 1:  Start exercising-this I've done.  I'm not entirely sure whether I'll continue the program at school, but I am doing a program at home with my Wii.  I love my Wii.  It's amazing and it has awesome workout tapes that give you instant feedback.  Now, I've been really sick these past couple of weeks so I didn't get to work out for like four days in a row, but today I was back at it.  It felt good.  I felt sore and good at the same time. I think ultimately, I want to be able to start by working out four times a week for a 1/2 hour at a time.  It's a good start, and then as I get used to it, I want to keep increasing it.

Step 2:  Be honest about my weight.  Yeah.  I said the W word.  The fact is I'm not okay with my weight the way it is.  I know it's not healthy and I definitely know it's not helping my health.  So, I rejoined Weight Watchers this last week.  It's a whole new program on the Points Plus, and it's weird to me that calories aren't the concern anymore.  Now you pay attention to the carbs, proteins, fats, and fiber.  I feel really good about being on it, especially as I learned I was at my highest weight ever (despite being in the same size that I've been in for the last 1 1/2 years).  I have a funny body...I can gain 20 pounds and not even know it because of how my body is.  The fact is I have to change habits, and I have to start taking care of myself.  That time is now.

Step 3:  Look at nutrition.  I'm on a multivitamin and other recommended vitamins as I try to get healthier.  Eat more balanced meals.  Drink a heck of a lot more water instead of drinking diet pop all the time.

The fact is, I just need to make sure I'm doing all I can for my health issues...lower my blood pressure, take pressure off my joints, and hopefully make a committed long term effort to doing what I can to prevent anything worse from happening...

Kinda overwhelming, but that's okay...one step at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment