Friday, September 25, 2009

Learning a Different Way

If you've ever been in a classroom, you should realize that it's not an easy job. It's hard, especially today in my opinion. Times are different now, even compared to when I went to school, and I'm not just talking abou behavior wise.

A lot is put on teachers today. We're expected to cover curriculum topics and outcomes according to the provincial government. We're expected to deal with large class sizes with more needs. We're expected to be on top of it all. I have days where I sometimes feel like I fail as a teacher-that the lesson wasn't good enough or my approach wasn't the right one. Teaching is not an easy task. It requires a lot of hard work and a lot of patience.

I'm in a new position at a new school. A split classroom. Do I feel like Superwoman? Heck no. I'm trying to stay afloat and meet all the different needs of the students. Am I doing it? I think most of the time I am except maybe when I have a lesson flop. I may finally be figuring out a system that I can live with, that may just lead me to some success within my class.

At the end of the day, I want to come away knowing that I did absolutely everything possible to help the student achieve everything possible for that particular student. I want them to know that they are important no matter their test mark, assessment level or ability.

Just a sidenote to share that I'm sick-got a bad cold, and was diagnosed with Vertigo a week ago. I feel pretty shitty right now, but at least I had a good school day!

No comments:

Post a Comment